BYOD Onboarding - 10 Essential Features of BYOD Software
As the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) trend becomes more widespread, companies are looking to external solutions that help manage their BYOD policies. If your organization is ready to implement a BYOD policy, what are the essential features of BYOD software you must keep in mind?
1. Should be Portable – Nowadays, it is common to find companies using a wide variety of devices in their daily businesses – desktop PCs, laptops, tablets and mobile phones. These devices in turn, run on multiple Operating Systems - Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OSX, Linux, Android, iOS, etc. The BYOD software you invest in should support all the platforms that are used at your company. Only then will your BYOD policy be utilized to its maximum potential, realizing the productivity and profitability benefits it is designed to deliver.
2. Should be Secure – The biggest concern that decision makers have about adopting a BYOD policy is data security. Managers fear loss of intellectual property and client data as well as malware or unauthorized access to networks. A BYOD container that can protect and wipe enterprise data is foundational to any BYOD program.
3. Should Support the Latest Technologies – The technology world is ever-evolving and it is very easy for a solution to become archaic if it doesn’t keep up with the changes. With the PaaS (Platform as a Service) model becoming increasingly popular, the BYOD software solution you choose must be periodically updated. An archaic software risks vulnerability to malicious security attacks. It may also result in lost productivity and reduced competitiveness.
4. Should be Context-Aware – If you invest in a BYOD software and then require extra personnel to manage the new software, especially if the solution is provided in a PaaS model, you end up spending rather than saving money and time. The BYOD software should be intelligent enough to automatically implement security settings based on the type and role of users within your company network.
5. Should Allow Guest Access Management – A dependable BYOD software must be extensible enough to allow temporary access to guests who might be visiting for business purposes and need access to a limited extent and for a defined time.
6. Should not Require Excessive Infrastructure – If your new BYOD software requires additional, expensive infrastructure or renders your current infrastructure as redundant, it is not a cost-effective solution. You should look for a solution that can leverage your existing infrastructure and requires minimal additions to be made, if any.
7. Should be Application Friendly – The major reason for introducing a BYOD policy is to enhance efficiency and productivity. If your BYOD software replaces the native user experience limits mobile app choice, efficiency and productivity will fall. This will defeat the very purpose of adopting a BYOD policy.
8. Should be Easy to Adopt – What follows the implementation of BYOD software at a company is the training of employees to use the software to its maximum potential. If the solution is too complex and the training is too time-consuming, it will be under-utilized. The more complex a BYOD software for the user, the more training required to use it, and even that will not eliminate the chances of catastrophic human errors. It is essential that your BYOD software should be simple to understand, implement and use.
9. Should be Scalable – Your company might not currently have a lot of employees. However, the BYOD software you invest in today should be scalable so that a future expansion in the number of users can be accommodated easily without a significant, incremental cost.
10. Should have an Intuitive User Interface (UI) – In the end, using the BYOD software should be a pleasant experience for the end-user. The UI should not make it an uphill task for employees to figure out how to use the various features of the software. It should be intuitive and user-friendly.
At Pulse Secure, our industry-leading solutions empower seamless mobility through a comprehensive line of virtual private network, network access control and mobile security products. When implementing a BYOD policy at your company, you can rest assured that our BYOD software encompasses all of the essential features listed above, and more.
Call Pulse Secure today at 844-807-8573 to speak to our team or request your free demo now.